Living in our Los Angeles apartments is a dream for many California residents. The area is filled with inspiring places, amazing venues, and artists who are constantly seeking new ways to increase their musical creativity.
Musical Creativity is Only 4 Steps Away
Whether you are just starting to find your sound, or you’ve been creating songs since you were a child, these four tips will help you to increase your musical creativity.
1. Don’t be Afraid to Record Everything
Whether it is a series of five notes or an entire verse, don’t be afraid to record everything. It’s helpful to carry around your phone, or another recording device, so that when inspiration strikes you can immediately document it. By recording your ideas, you can stay organized, become more productive, and fine-tune your creative journey. You’ll be amazed how often a new set of lyrics, a melody, or a hook comes to you when you’re out and about in Los Angeles.
2. Practice in Our Community’s Music Rehearsal Room
As a musician, you probably listen to music on a daily basis. While listening to music can be a great source of inspiration, it is even better to listen to and practice music in a designated rehearsal room. At the Duet on Wilcox, we are proud to have a music rehearsal room inside of our apartment community. With high-quality speakers, rehearsal chairs, sound-proofed walls, music stands, and studio-style acoustics, our rehearsal room is waiting for you. The best part about an in-house rehearsal room is that you can practice as a solo artist or form a new group with your fellow musically inclined residents. No matter how you like to practice, our amenity-filled rehearsal room will take you one step further on your creative journey.
3. Try Something New
Just as writers sometimes have “writer’s block,” so too can musicians experience creative blocks. Don’t worry. You can always increase your musical creativity by trying something new. Whether it is listening to a new artist or trying a different genre of music, there are countless ways that you can explore new music, while simultaneously jump-starting your creativity.
4. Give Yourself a Pat on the Back
Even the best musicians have had days when they couldn’t think of the right lyrics, when the notes didn’t form a harmonious blend, and when they created something that was so terrible all they could do was laugh at it. In other words, give yourself a pat on the back, smile at your perceived mistakes, and remember that whether you can sing in key, play the drums, or jam out on the bass guitar, you are already far more musically creative than the majority of people. Once you’ve relaxed, the creative journey will reach new heights.
Are you ready to live in the Entertainment Capital of the World all while increasing your musical creativity? If so, contact our office today to schedule an apartment tour and check out our community music rehearsal room.
Is something missing from your life? Perhaps you should consider bringing a canine companion into your life. Following are just five ways that residents of apartments in Los Angeles can benefit from having a dog.
Dogs Improve Our Social Lives
Whether you’re with your dog at our apartment community’s dog park or out and about in your neighborhood, you’ll meet more people than you would if you weren’t accompanied by your furry friend. Dogs make excellent natural icebreakers — and most dog owners tend to be good people so you may end up with an upgrade to your social life as a result of having a dog.
Dogs Provide Us With Unconditional Love
Dogs love their humans no matter what, and who doesn’t like the feeling of being loved unconditionally? You’ll never have to explain your life decisions to your canine companion or worry that they will stop caring for you if you make a wrong choice.
Dogs Keep Our Spirits Up
People who share their lives, homes, and hearts with dogs are known to laugh more often than their pooch-free counterparts. They also have more fun in general — it’s hard to be in a bad mood when you’re sharing your time and space with an adorable dog that thinks you’re the best thing in the world. Just looking your dog in the eye can release brain chemicals that promote feelings of happiness and peace.
Dogs Keep Us Physically Active
People who own dogs get more outdoor exercise, which has been shown to have significant health benefits in its own right. You’ll keep your vitamin D levels healthy by getting outdoors more often, and you’ll also reap the benefits of getting plenty of fresh air.
Dogs Offer Unparalleled Loyalty
You’d be hard-pressed to find another living creature that could match the loyalty of a good dog. Your dog will stick by you no matter what, and you’ll never have to worry that they will somehow find someone they like more than you. Loyal dogs are also very protective, so your dog will also help keep you safe.
Please feel free to contact us for more information on our pet-friendly floor plans in the beautiful city of Los Angeles.
Quite soon it will be time to move clocks forward one hour, as Daylight Saving Time is fast approaching on March 11. For some, it can be difficult to get adjusted to the time change. There are ways to make it easier to adjust to such changes. Know more about how residents in our Los Angeles apartments can ease into the time change with less stress today.
Little Steps to Adjust to Daylight Saving Time
For some people, it can take a week or more to feel like themselves again after changing the clock an hour. Simple ways to start preparing for the change in order to function as usual include:
- Going to bed at an earlier time a week prior to the change. Starting one week before the change, schedule bedtime 15 minutes earlier than usual. Every two days, go to bed an additional 15 minutes before the previous time. The body can slowly become adjusted to the change without much of a difference to a person’s regular routine.
- Using lighting to adjust circadian rhythms. Upon awakening, allow natural light into a room and dim lights a few hours before sleep to provide signs to the body that it is time to wake up or go to sleep, respectively.
- Making it easier to get restorative sleep. Simply taking a hot bath before going to bed can reduce stress and lower the body’s temperature afterward, making it easier to go to sleep. Avoid alcohol and caffeine a few days before the change to aid in shifting your sleep cycle.
There are a number of ways to get a better night’s sleep. Speak with a medical professional if poor sleep quality continues long after the Daylight Saving Time change.
Our Los Angeles Apartments Offer Star-Quality Living
Duet on Wilcox Apartments brings top-of-the-line amenities and a team dedicated to providing residents every comfort. Be a part of an elite community residing in the iconic Los Angeles area. Use our music rehearsal room when living in our Los Angeles apartments. Contact our office at Duet on Wilcox Apartments at (866) 735-7020 to learn more about our available apartments and various floor plans.
Becoming more green is not only a good choice for the environment and future generations, it’s also good for you too. While at one point going green would have required plenty of self-sacrifices, the technologies are rapidly improving to benefit those who make a conscientious effort to lighten their carbon footprint. If you haven’t been very careful about your own impact, see how you can turn things around in our Los Angeles apartments with just a few tips.
Focus on Your Utilities
Whatever it is you’re spending on your utility bills, you can likely save more if you made a little more effort. Just remembering to close or open the blinds based on the temperature outside would probably knock a few bucks off your air conditioning bills every month! To save a little money while increasing your eco-friendliness, consider investing in smart appliances or LED lighting. These items can help you cut back on your power usage while promoting a healthier Earth.
Change Your Diet
No, this hasn’t turned into an article on how to lose weight, but it could be a side effect of becoming more green. Meat products are perfectly natural items for humans to eat, but our society seems to have taken this philosophy to the extreme. Cutting back on meat reduces demand, which can reduce carbon emissions and improve your health. It’s a small change that will eventually add up.
Read Up on Recycling
Every region typically has their own rules when it comes to when, what, and how you can recycle. Luckily, Los Angeles is one of the more eco-friendly cities you can live in, so the city does everything it can to make it easy. Still, it helps to educate yourself about everything from the nearest e-waste facility for your old electronics to the most convenient place to turn in your bottles and cans.
Duet on Wilcox is committed to providing luxury apartments without compromising on our commitment to the planet. If you want to learn more about our community or available floor plans, give us a call or stop by our office today!
Happy hour may have half-priced drinks at most bars and other establishments, but that doesn’t make an evening of fun affordable. From friends to coworkers, it seems like someone always wants to go out for drinks, which puts a drain on your wallet.
The next time you’re in the mood for happy hour, why not bring it to you instead? At our Los Angeles apartments, you can make drinks at home so it’s happy hour whenever you want.
1. Establish the Ambiance
Happy hour is about sociability as well as drinks. With real flowers, candles, and mood lighting, you can get all your friends ready for a fun evening ahead.
2. Make it Sound Like Happy Hour
Speaking of ambiance, you need music to truly make it feel like happy hour. Make a playlist that’s a few hours long, filling it with songs of a similar genre. Then, cue up your playlist once your friends come over.
Remember, it’s not about blasting the music. Keep the volume low so the music is background noise but still audible.
3. Don’t Skip the Food
Every bar worth its salt has a menu of snacks to go with all those drinks. You can present basic bar foods like pretzels or popcorn or take it a step further and make mozzarella sticks, quesadillas, and even cheeseburger sliders.
4. Make a Delicious Drinks Menu
Now, onto the most important element of happy hour: the drinks! You don’t need to have studied mixology to make it a successful evening. Learn a few basic drinks with four ingredients or less and make those. Classic standards like wine, beer, and premixed cocktails will round out your menu nicely.
Every hour will feel like happy hour when you’re at Duet on Wilcox. That’s because our gorgeous apartments offer amenities such as mirrored closet doors, in-unit dishwashers in the kitchen, ceiling fans, built-in desks, a balcony or patio, wood-finished flooring, and stainless steel appliances.
Residents also get controlled gated entry, assigned covered parking, and access to the music rehearsal room, our dog park (pets are welcome), a jacuzzi, a resort-style pool, and a 24-hour fitness center. To learn more, please call our office today.
The people of Los Angeles, CA, know the power of a well-made iced coffee. Don’t let the simplistic name fool you. The truth is if you make it wrong, you might as well not bother to make it at all. Once you get the basics down, you can play around with various flavors and find your signature iced coffee recipe.
What is Iced Coffee?
Does the name say it all? Not really, even though, yes, you could just pour hot coffee over ice. That’s okay for some people, but true southern-style iced coffee is a process. You’ll need to start with cold-brewed coffee and that takes more effort than just turning on the coffee maker and brewing a pot of hot java.
Steps for Making Iced Coffee the Right Way
It starts with cold-brewing your coffee the night before.
- Place your coffee grounds in a glass jar. If you grind your own beans, make them medium to coarse. One cup of whole beans makes about three cups of iced coffee. A 2-quart canning jar works well for cold brewing coffee. Check out your local dollar store for large jars with screw on tops.
- Fill the jar with water, preferably filtered or bottled. Use around four cups of water for the three cups of coffee.
- Let the jar sit for 12 or more hours. Letting it brew overnight is ideal.
- Strain the coffee using cheesecloth, a large paper filter or a reusable “gold” filter. Place your filter on top of a second jar or a coffee pot and just transfer the liquid from one container to the next. You can place the brewed coffee in the refrigerator for later use or make your iced coffee right away.
- When ready, fill a tall glass with ice and pour the cold brew coffee over it. Now you can sweeten to taste, add a little milk or even a liqueur to give the drink some punch.
If you are new to the area, you’ll find things are done a certain way on the West Coast whether it’s making iced coffee or building luxury Los Angeles apartments. If you are looking for a new home, give our office a call to schedule a tour of our apartment community.
Whether you’ve made a whole heap of New Year’s resolutions, or prefer to enjoy the new year in the present moment without planning ahead, enjoying a good book can both feel like a virtue and indulging in a guilty pleasure at the same time. There are few things that simultaneously feel like their self-improving while also providing a delightful escape from the daily grind. Here are some books to get you started crafting your list.
5 Books to Look Forward to Reading in 2018
- The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert: There are a whole lot of people in the literary world who are looking forward to this book being released at the beginning of February, but it’s got a decidedly fantasy-bent and is heavily influenced by fairy tales. If you’re a fan of those genres (or just like reading the latest literary masterpiece) you’ll want to check this out.
- The Largesse of the Sea Maiden by Denis Johnson: Sadly, Denis Johnson passed away last spring. He left us with numerous novels, but only one collection of short stories, Jesus’ Son, which was turned into a 1999 award-winning film. Luckily, he left us with one more short story collection, being released posthumously in January.
- Come Again by Nate Powell: If you like to enjoy your words with some great pictures then it’s time you checked out this National Book Award-winning comic book artist. Details are light on the new project, other than it is set in the Ozarks with the first issue being released at Comic-Con in July.
- The Financial Diet: A Total Beginner’s Guide to Getting Good with Money by Chelsea Fagan: If one of your 2018 resolutions was making a budget and sticking to it, then this book is perfect for you.
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi: Looking for the next big YA fantasy? Get ahead of the curve by reading this as soon as it comes out in early March. The movie rights have already been sold and it’s shaping up to a be the next big thing.
Duet on Wilcox offers the perfect spots to kick back and relax with a book. Whether you’re in the mood to lounge by our resort-style pool, like to take your reading out onto the balcony or prefer to read in the refreshing breeze of a ceiling fan, our Los Angeles apartments are the ideal retreat for bookworms. To find out more about the many amenities we offer, get in touch to schedule a tour.
Matcha. It’s got all the health benefits of green tea, but is thought to be even better than the kind in tea bags because instead of just using the leaves, it makes use of the entire plant, but only the most premium varieties, ground down to a fine powder. And while it’s good for the body, it’s also got a pleasing jolt of caffeine, perfect for keeping you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed throughout the day.
Traditionally, it’s mixed with boiling water and whisked with a special bamboo tool into a warm, bright green tea. A latte replaces the water with milk (dairy or dairy alternative), sometimes with an added sweetener of choice, and is served iced or hot. It has become hugely popular for the health benefits, the caffeine, and that unique flavor that is hard to put into words other than to say it tastes very, very green. Once you’ve tasted it, you won’t forget it, and more often than not, people find themselves craving that earthy flavor. Thankfully, there are a whole host of ways to enjoy matcha beyond sipping tea and lattes. Here are three of our favorites.
Three Great Ways to Enjoy Matcha Beyond the Usual Cup of Tea
- Baked Treats: From donuts to banana bread to cream puffs that green powder adds both exciting flavor and color to favorite treats.
- Savory Spice Blend: It turns out that umami flavor, which matcha so perfectly represents, isn’t just great for sweet treats. It’s also an ideal addition to your favorite savory dishes, from scrambled eggs to eggplant to lentils, adding matcha powder is an excellent way to punch up both the flavor and health benefits. Make it simpler and impress dinner guests by creating your own spice blend around the green powder. It goes great with flavors like black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and sea salt. Personalize it and then enjoy sprinkling it on anything and everything from oatmeal to a stir fry.
- Frozen: While a scoop of bright green matcha ice cream is a favorite way to end a meal at a Japanese restaurant, if you don’t have an ice cream maker on hand, you can still make your own frozen matcha treats. Just combine the powder with some yogurt and honey, put into a popsicle mold and pop into the freezer for a sweet healthy treat that will be just the thing to enjoy in the L.A. sun.
The fully-equipped kitchens with dishwasher and a stainless steel appliance option make our Los Angeles apartments the perfect place to try out all kinds of new culinary experiments. To find out more about the many amenities offered at the Duet on Wilcox, give our office a call.
Gyms can be intimidating places if you’ve fallen out of the fitness habit. Not to mention, they can cost an arm and a leg, and finding time to fit workouts into your schedule can be harder than trying to squeeze into your favorite old pair of jeans. Fortunately, there are plenty of fitness routines you can do in (or around) the privacy of your own Los Angeles apartment. Grab a friend, and get ready to get fit!
1. Bodyweight Squat
No matter how hard we try, our body weight goes everywhere we do, so why not use it as a weighty leverage to help you shape and tone your muscles. The bodyweight squat has obvious benefits for the upper arms, but you’ll also find benefits in most other parts of your body, too.
2. Chair Dips
Take those triceps to task and fight the unwanted wiggles that can appear on the back of upper arms. For chair dips, all you need is a chair and a little determination to do better each time than you did the time before.
3. Butterfly Abs
The lower belly can be a problem spot for a lot of people. Butterfly abs target that tough area with just a little movement. It doesn’t take much to isolate your abs and feel the burn with this one!
Planks aren’t very often anyone’s favorite part of a workout, but that’s largely because they’re quite effective (and can be quite painful!) You’ll feel so good about yourself as you start to increase your hold time.
Yoga is a stellar all-over body workout, but yoga studios can be scary places if you’ve never stretched and contorted your torso in public (or if you’re not even sure how humans perform such feats!) Fear not! You can start off slow and gently with beginner yoga in your own living room. Check out several options until you find the YouTube yoga guru that works for you. Be gentle with yourself and modify each pose as needed. Remember, this is just for you and nobody else.
Of course, the easiest way to workout at home is to find an apartment community that comes with a 24-hour fitness center. This is just one of the many outstanding amenities at our Duet on Wilcox Apartments. Stop by and see for yourself!
One of the advantages of living in our apartments in Los Angeles is the central location. You’re close to all the best shopping in the city—and, in fact, some of the best shopping to be found anywhere. Below, you’ll find out about some of the star shopping attractions in Los Angeles.
Hollywood & Highland Center: Close to Your Apartments in Los Angeles
Hollywood & Highland is more than just a shopping mall—it’s actually an entertainment complex that’s close to your apartments in Los Angeles. The great shopping options here include Pandora, Hot Topic, Sephora, Louis Vuitton, Victoria’s Secret, Forever 21, Guess, and many others.
In addition to the shopping, Hollywood & Highland offers the famed tourist attraction TCL Chinese Theatre (formerly Grauman’s), the Dolby Theatre, a new state-of-the-art 6-screen movie theatre, a bowling alley, and an arcade inside the Dave & Buster’s. The shopping center is built to take advantage of Los Angeles weather—it’s open-air and offers beautiful fountains.
The Grove is another popular shopping and entertainment option in L.A. It features animated outdoor fountains, always a big hit with kids and adults alike. This huge outdoor shopping center includes stores such as Anthropologie, Apple, Banana Republic, Nordstrom, MAC Cosmetics, and UGG along with many others.
Pacific Theatres at The Grove is a multiplex with unique Neo-Deco styling. It also offers a full service bar and lounge. Dining options at The Grove include The Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano’s Little Italy, along with many local dining gems.
Beverly Center is one of the most famous shopping centers in Los Angeles and with good reason. Stores include Bath & Body Works, Bloomingdale’s, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Jimmy Choo, Burberry, Saint Laurent, and many others.
Restaurants are unique and varied, including Cal Mare, with new eateries to come such as Easy’s, Yardbird Southern Table & Bar, and more. You can easily spend an entire day wandering the Center and its more than 100 premier stores!
Looking for an amazing Los Angeles apartment? Duet on Wilcox has you covered. Our luxury apartments are close to the best shopping in the area, and they’re truly star-quality. Contact us to learn more.
* Type the characters in the picture below.